Partially Hydrolysed Guar Gum (PHGG) is our hero ingredient in Gut Restore, and we often get questions of what it actually is. So here's the breakdown!
PHGG is a water-soluble, FDA-approved prebiotic dietary fibre derived from the Guar Plant, also known as Cyamopsis tetragonoloba. It has been extensively studied on its efficacy in improving gastrointestinal symptoms.
It's more commonly known cousin, Guar Gum also comes from the Guar Plant. While they’re both from the same plant, they differ greatly in their chemical makeup and properties. Guar Gum is known as an additive used in foods to thicken, emulsify and stabilise. It will often trigger uncomfortable digestive symptoms such as bloating, gas, and diarrhea; quite the contrary to PHGG.
10 Reasons Why I Love PHGG
- Reduces symptoms & severity of constipation & diarrhea-dominant IBS
- Relieves gas, bloating, abdominal swelling & gastrointestinal discomfort
- Improves stool form, consistency & regularity
- Reduces the need for enemas & laxatives
- Improves metabolism functioning & increases satiety
- Promotes weight management
- Increases beneficial gut bacteria such as Bifidobacteria and Lactobacilli
- Increases Short Chain Fatty Acids (SCFAs)
- Improves immunity
- Increases fibre intake
- Russo, L., Andreozzi, P., Zito, F. P., Vozzella, L., Savino, I. G., Sarnelli, G., & Cuomo, R. (2015). Partially hydrolyzed guar gum in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with constipation: effects of gender, age, and body mass index. Saudi journal of gastroenterology : official journal of the Saudi Gastroenterology Association, 21(2), 104–110. https://doi.org/10.4103/1319-3767.153835
- Carlson J, Gould T, Slavin J. In vitro analysis of partially hydrolyzed guar gum fermentation on identified gut microbiota. Anaerobe. 2016 Dec;42:60-66. doi: 10.1016/j.anaerobe.2016.08.006. Epub 2016 Aug 30. PMID: 27585552.
- Giannini EG, Mansi C, Dulbecco P, Savarino V. Role of partially hydrolyzed guar gum in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Nutrition. 2006 Mar;22(3):334-42. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2005.10.003. Epub 2006 Jan 18. PMID: 16413751.
- Yasukawa, Z., Inoue, R., Ozeki, M., Okubo, T., Takagi, T., Honda, A., & Naito, Y. (2019). Effect of Repeated Consumption of Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum on Fecal Characteristics and Gut Microbiota: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, and Parallel-Group Clinical Trial. Nutrients, 11(9), 2170. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu11092170
- Slavin JL, Greenberg NA. Partially hydrolyzed guar gum: clinical nutrition uses. Nutrition. 2003 Jun;19(6):549-52. doi: 10.1016/s0899-9007(02)01032-8. PMID: 12781858.