Cayenne Spiked Caramel Slice
GF - DF - Vegan
Is it getting hot in here, or is it just us? Up the ante with this mushroom-spiked Caramel Slice. Raw, vegan and refined sugar-free, it’s a weekly non-negotiable at Fun Girl HQ. We love adding cayenne pepper for colour and bonus spice, plus a sprinkle of sea salt and a healthy dose of our Lion’s Mane-infused chocolate.
- ½ cup raisins
- 12 large medjool dates, pitted
- 2 heaped cups almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 blocks Fungirl chocolate
- Sea salt, to your liking
- Cayenne pepper, to your liking
- Line a brownie tin or baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- To make the base, add raisins, 2 medjool dates, 1 ½ cups toasted almonds, 1 tsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp tahini and half a block of Fun Girl chocolate to a food processor. Process until combined – the mixture should easily stick together. Press into your baking tray with the back of a spoon or spatula.
- To make the caramel, combine the remaining dates, tahini, vanilla, coconut oil and a good pinch of salt in a food processor. Gradually add boiling water until desired consistency is reached – you want a thick, sticky and spreadable layer. Taste and add sea salt, if required. Spread onto the base in a smooth layer.
- Spread the remaining chopped almonds over the base. Press down gently. Sprinkle with sea salt and refrigerate to set.
- Slowly melt Fungirl chocolate in a metal pan or bowl over boiling water. Once melted and smooth, pour over caramel-almond layer. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and place in freezer to set.
- Slice with a warm knife and enjoy.
Store in freezer for up to two weeks (if it lasts that long).
Recipe by Sarah Frish