Double Dose Banana & Dark Chocolate Muffins
Dairy Free + Gluten Free
Sometimes there’s an itch only a muffin can scratch. These super nourishing bites are loaded with banana, walnut crunch and your favourite Fungirl chocolate. Sweetened only with honey and full of healthy fats, they’re good enough for breakfast, dinner or dessert.
Makes: 12 muffins
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 3 ripe medium bananas, peeled
- ½ cup local honey
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¾ cup brown rice or buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- A pinch of good quality salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 blocks of Fungirl chocolate, roughly chopped
- Raspberries, to decorate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (or 175 degrees C). Grease a 12-piece muffin tin well, or use paper muffin cases.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until they’re almost combined (a few chunks is okay!).
- Add the honey, coconut oil, eggs and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the almond flour and buckwheat/brown rice flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Pour in the banana mix and stir with a spoon until the mixture comes together. Fold in the chopped walnuts and chocolate.
- Carefully divide the mixture between the prepared tins, topping with a little extra chocolate, walnuts or raspberries.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the centre of one muffin comes out clean. If the muffin tops (best bit) brown too quickly, cover with food-safe aluminium foil and return to oven for the duration of cooking time. Allow to cool slightly in tin then turn out muffins onto cooling rack.
- Enjoy warm, room temperature or (our preference) smothered in almond butter.
Recipe by Sarah Frish